Pourquoi les deltas de Dan Leigh sont différents ?

Toutes vos questions ou suggestions à propos des cerf-volants.

Pourquoi les deltas de Dan Leigh sont différents ?

Messagede plesage le Lun 26 Septembre 2011, 18:48

Il ya quelques semaines, j'ai envoyé à Dan Leigh la voile de mon R8 afin qu'il répare quelques coutures, usures et fasse une "révision" générale. Dès reception il m'avisa que cela prendrait du temps car il est débordé (un, deux voir trois mois pour une commande est la norme) et ce matin je reçois ce message de Dan :

Hello Pierre-
Dan here.
First thing: Where do I send the R8 skin? Please send a complete address and a local contact phone number - I need that to book the collection; they even want a "county" even for countries that don't have counties, so if there is an equivalent please include it.

The R8 repairs are completed. Sorry it took so long. I started last Wednesday afternoon, finished Friday evening. Before I started, every time I looked over at it I thought what on Earth am I going to do with that?

Wednesday morning after turning the table around I looked it over. I made a little list.
1. Hole in wing
2. Wing tips
3. Tail tape & check nose
4. Sewing on trailing edges at corners
5. Spreader pocket area x2
6. Spar top area.

I started by marking the wings where the pockets were, since the sleeves would be covered over where they were frayed, covering where the pockets were.

I took off the pockets, planning to use them to copy them as exactly as possible, so the spreader would fit the same as before. The tiniest differences in or out, up or down, would mean that the spreader fit was lost.

The hole if the wing was well taped, so I didn't think it needed anything. (But I covered the tapes with ripstop anyway.)

The nose was repaired already with tough looking tape. There was only a small hole in the tail tape. As it happened, I ended up making a new thick tape.

The trailing edge stitching, step 4, no longer mattered because after removing the thread from the wing leading edge sleeves and opening them up, I found too much deterioration to simply patch. I had no choice but to open the sleeves as far as possible, tack the outer wings down and replace the tips entirely. It didn't go to plan; it's not possible to get wings flat on the table if the sleeves are left partly sewn, which I had to do. I could only tack down the outer wings beyond the spreader pocket area.

After the tips, I found several breaks in the trailing edge sewing, so I removed the two rows of straight stitching. The areas of broken multi-stitch zig-zag (yellow) were cut off already.

I made some patches for the tapes at the top ends (nose ends) of the wing leading edge spars, and patched the areas where the new spreader pockets would be.

The wing tips have double dacron tapes, inside and out. Not heat sealed, so watch for fraying, and trim whenever necessary. Melting with a gas lighter is tricky.

I haven't had black Bainbridge for a year; I was out of black Paratex, so I had to use some black Ikarex, the stuff Flexifoils are made of. It's the most expensive fabric I've ever had, but it's too stretchy for whole deltas. It is very durable.

It took longer to take everything apart than to re-make it all. The new spreader pockets look pretty good - the spreader should fit pretty closely to what it was before.

Because the wings wouldn't lie flat I had to use the cut off tips to locate the wing tip point, the defining point. Fabric was missing in places, so it was a guess - it could only be measured if the wings would lie flat, so I couldn't measure them. Worst case scenario: you might need to trim the wing spars a little.

When you get it back, I also recommend that the new dacron wing tip tapes (black stunt kite dacron) be covered with a layer of the tape you used on the hole in the wing, or something equivalent.

All the best,
-Dan
ps: included some photos
--
Dan & Bev Leigh
54 Osborne Road, Pontypool, Gwent NP4 6LX
UK
landline: 0044/0 1495 750875
e-mail: danleigh@deltas.freeserve.co.uk

Voici quelques photos :

Je suis bluffé par un tel suivi et un tel professionnalisme, Dan est un artisan amoureux du travail bien fait, certes ses créations sont un peu plus chères que les CV industriels fabriqués en Chine....
Pierre Lesage - pierre@pierre-lesage.com
Pages Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tahitipix/ - What's App : (+33)06 78 19 94 10
plesage
Plus de 1000 messages

Re: Pourquoi les deltas de Dan Leigh sont différents ?

Messagede Emmanuel le Lun 26 Septembre 2011, 20:24

Le SAV est top, mais... Pierre, ça n'est pas bien de maltraiter ainsi ses cerfs-volants :lol:
Emmanuel, Administrateur des forums francophones de la photographie aérienne par cerf-volant : http://photocerfvolant.free.fr/phpBB2/ - Et "toujours..." mon projet "au long cours..."
Emmanuel
Site Admin

Messagede Micks le Lun 26 Septembre 2011, 21:02

C'est sur, c'est pro à 200% !Excellent SAV :!: Mais il faut pas mal économiser pour ce l'offrir se petit R8... mais j'y pense.... c'est bientôt mon anniv'... si vous ne savez pas quoi m'offrir cette année :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mick
Micks
Plus de 1000 messages

Messagede Alankap le Lun 26 Septembre 2011, 21:15

100% d'accord avec Pierre

J'ai acheté il y a un an un R8 j'en suis super content.

Quand je vois comment il traite ses clients cela m'encourage à en acheter un deuxième...même si tarif est assez élevé.

Car finalement on est bien loin des fabrications industrielles asiatiques ou autres....

Le matos est au top, l'artisan aussi, le service....

Et puis sur chaque R8 il y a sa signature.

Je préfère 1000 fois un kite dédicacé par son fabricant qu'un pauvre code barres d"un produit industriel sans âme !

Bref achetez un R8 :wink:
Alankap
Plus de 1000 messages

Messagede André le Mar 27 Septembre 2011, 17:20

Une petite pensée pour Manu... :(
André
Plus de 8000 messages

Messagede Maneke le Mar 27 Septembre 2011, 18:35

Le mien après de nombreuses heures de vol était un peu rincé. J'en avais fait part à Dan Leigh qui m'avait gracieusement envoyé un kit de réparation avec de nouvelles poches à coudre et des renforts pour les extrémités. malgré cela il aurait mérité un refit comme celui de pierre mais la SNCF en a décidé autrement, j'aurais donc droit à un modèle flambant neuf (faut voir le bon coté des choses :D )
Je vais envoyer ma comande à Dan qui vas me répondre su'il est débordé, qu'il part en vacances, qu'il a mal au dos mais que peut-être pour noël... Faut pas être pressé mais l'attente ça donne de la valeur au CV :mrgreen:
Manu
70% photographe + 30% cerf-voliste = 100% Kapiste
http://www.acomimage.com
http://www.xamen.fr
Maneke
Plus de 1000 messages

Messagede Alankap le Mar 27 Septembre 2011, 21:37

Tu connais son slogan....

if you dont't want to wait...don't order ! :mrgreen:
Alankap
Plus de 1000 messages

Retourner vers Vos cerfs-volants